Nevada Legal Services has a staff attorney opening in our Elko or Reno office. This position is primarily to assist elderly and disabled individuals in our rural communities but the attorney may choose to work in either the Reno or Elko offices. The staff attorney will provide full-scope legal representation in a variety of cases including guardianship matters before rural district courts and counseling and assisting seniors and disabled individuals on a variety of legal matters including estate planning, suspected elder abuse, denial or termination of public benefits, housing and consumer matters. The staff attorney will also be required to conduct community outreach and trainings, staff and conduct legal clinics across northern Nevada, and collaborate with local agency partners in a variety of areas of concern to our client communities.
This position will require travel to outlying counties to meet with clients, conduct outreach and education and appear in courts across the state. Overnight stays may be required.
- Applicants should be licensed to practice in Nevada or in another state and eligible for admission pursuant to Supreme Court Rule 72.1. Recent graduates will be considered but continued employment will be contingent on passing the bar examination.
- J.D. from ABA accredited law school.
- Applicants must have an interest and passion for helping low-income Nevadans, seniors and disabled individuals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Excellent communication skills and experience addressing a variety of audiences.
- Capability to work with low-income clients from diverse backgrounds, including clients with physical and mental disabilities and clients with limited English proficiency.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Paid sick and vacation time
- Paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Salary DOE 50k – 68k
- Full-time (34 hours per week)
Application deadline February 28, 2021. Provide cover letter explaining interest, resume, references, and writing sample. Email Roberta O’Hara, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Reno Elder Staff Attorney” in the subject line.
Nevada Legal Services (NLS) is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and fosters an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices. NLS actively promotes mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity. NLS is committed to maintaining an organization whose staff, Board and clients are diverse in background, experience, race, color, national origin, gender, age, religious reference, marital status, sexual orientation, sensory, mental or physical abilities, veteran status, and other qualities that strengthen the program while reinforcing its commitment to basic fairness. People of color, people who identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, or bisexual, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals needing a reasonable accommodation for the application, interview process or for more information about the program may send a request to the email address provided.