Nevada Legal Services strengthens communities across Nevada by ensuring fairness and providing equal access to justice. We are a non-profit legal aid organization providing free legal services to low income people in every county in Nevada. Our primary source of funding is through a grant from the federal Legal Services Corporation.
We currently have a staff attorney opening in our Las Vegas office.
The staff attorney will provide full-scope legal representation in a variety of cases including:
- Landlord-Tenant (subsidized housing, Eviction court, mobile homes, etc.)
- Public Benefit Denials (Social Security, Unemployment, Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc.)
- Criminal Record Sealing
- Consumer Issues (Garnishment, Debt Collection, Bankruptcy, etc.)
- Some Family Law/Guardianship (emphasis in Rural Communities)
The staff attorney will be responsible for participating in frequent Outreach events and educational classes to Social service providers, legal professionals, and the pro se community. The attorney will be expected to perform an array of assistance from providing legal advice to representation in administrative hearings and state/federal court. The attorney must have strong organizational skills and be able to handle all case handling responsibilities.
- Applicants should be licensed to practice in Nevada or in another state and eligible for admission pursuant to Supreme Court Rule 72.1. Recent graduates will be considered but continued employment will be contingent on passing the bar examination.
- J.D. from ABA accredited law school.
- Applicants must have an interest and passion for helping low-income Nevadans.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Excellent communication skills and experience addressing a variety of audiences.
- Capability to work with low-income clients from diverse backgrounds, including clients with physical and mental disabilities and clients with limited English proficiency.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Paid sick and vacation time
- Paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Salary DOE 46k – 64k
- Full-time (34 hours per week)
Application deadline October 31, 2019. Provide cover letter explaining interest, resume, references, and writing sample. Email Roberta O’Hara, Human Resources, at email@example.com and reference “Las Vegas Staff Attorney” in the subject line.
Nevada Legal Services (NLS) is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and fosters an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices. NLS actively promotes mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity. NLS is committed to maintaining an organization whose staff, Board and clients are diverse in background, experience, race, color, national origin, gender, age, religious reference, marital status, sexual orientation, sensory, mental or physical abilities, veteran status, and other qualities that strengthen the program while reinforcing its commitment to basic fairness. People of color, people who identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, or bisexual, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals needing a reasonable accommodation for the application, interview process or for more information about the program may send a request to the email address provided.