Under the general supervision of an attorney, the Housing Counselor handles their own caseload with varying levels of assistance. Housing counselors provide assistance and advocacy to clients along with other clerical responsibilities.
- Conduct client consultations (in person and by phone)
- Conduct Intakes to determine financial eligibility, identify legal problem and compile relevant documents for case presentation
- Provide counsel/advice and brief services in a variety of legal topics
- Manage case load and close cases in timely fashion
- Draft rejection and referral letters
- When needed, substitute for receptionist
- When needed, attend outreach events
- E-file pleadings
- Prepare and distribute pro se materials to eligible clients
- Communicate with agencies/adversaries to further client assistance
- Ability to relate to clients; maturity and sensitivity to problems of poor and minority clients.
- High school graduate or equivalent, with matching verbal and writing skills.
- Prior housing and legal experience preferred.
- Bilingual – Spanish preferred but not required.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary DOE: 28,480 – 46,480
- Paid sick and vacation time
- Paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Full-time (34 hours per week)
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis but no later than August 31, 2019. Please send a cover letter and resume to: Roberta O’Hara. Please reference “TRC” in your email.
Nevada Legal Services (NLS) is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and fosters an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices. NLS actively promotes mutual respect, acceptance, teamwork and productivity. NLS is committed to maintaining an organization whose staff, Board and clients are diverse in background, experience, race, color, national origin, gender, age, religious reference, marital status, sexual orientation, sensory, mental or physical abilities, veteran status, and other qualities that strengthen the program while reinforcing its commitment to basic fairness. People of color, people who identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, or bisexual, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals needing a reasonable accommodation for the application, interview process or for more information about the program may send a request to the email address provided.